Sunday, November 7, 2010

Marie-Helene’s Apple Cake - AMFT


Dorie, Dorie, Dorie... again, your recipe is not only absolutely delicious, but you've managed to fill my house with a most amazing apple-y, homey, comforting aroma!!! This smells SO GOOD while it's baking!

As others have mentioned, assembling the ingredients in the baking pan struck fear in my heart that I had managed to somehow screw it up. The proportion of batter to chunky apples seemed wrong... and I read the recipe, re-read it, and re-read it again before I convinced myself I hadn't made a measuring mistake. Into the oven it went, all bumpy and knobby with apple.

This isn't like any other apple cake I've made. It's chockablock with big, chunky apples - more like a traditional apple pie - but enough tender, soft cake to hold them together, with a browned crusty edge that's just to die for. :) It was apparent in the eating that these were apples "divers" - 4 different (diverse) varieties of apple, as the recipe indicates, clearly makes a difference.

This will definitely be a part of this family's Thanksgiving meal this year! Thanks again, Dorie!

No comments:

Post a Comment