Saturday, October 9, 2010

Gerard's Mustard Tart - Around my French Table

Wellllll... John & I made it. And we had fun doing it. And it was gorgeous. :) I have to admit, it doesn't rank in my top ten favorite Dorie recipes, but John ate two portions and all the leftovers... with gusto! If it were me, I could think of a lot of other tart fillings .....

Yeah, yeah, whatever. John here, having wrestled the keyboard away from Lisa. 8-)

I'm a mustard person. Lisa is not.
I could eat mustard with a spoon (and have). Lisa sometimes applies delicate mustard whiffs after thinking long and hard about it.

And that's the thing. If you love mustard, you will love this tart. If you keep mustard at arm's length, this probably isn't the one for you. Here's a litmus test: If you like mustard on your fried egg sandwich, absolutely give this a try.

Making this dish is so straightforward that we really can't think of much to mention concerning construction. A few observations however: Next time we might add just a tiny amount of fresh rosemary to the egg mixture. We really didn't get any rosemary flavor in the finished product, and were expecting it. Maybe also reserve a bit of the egg mixture, add the carrots and leeks to the top, and then drizzle with the reserved egg. In the oven, some of our carrots and leeks became a little dried out.

Finally, oddly, we'd never steamed leeks before and they turned out amazing. Cool technique, and can think of several omelets that would be awesome with those leeks!

1 comment:

  1. Your tart looks wonderful. I love how John bumped you off the computer to get his two cents in!

    ReplyDelete