Sunday, November 7, 2010

Caramel-Topped Semolina Cake - AMFT

I've gotta say - this recipe just makes me laugh! Who thought of taking a bowl of Cream of Wheat, adding eggs and raisins, baking it, and calling it cake?! LOL! Don't get me wrong... it's GOOD! Just hits my funny bone. :) This is one of the reasons I love this group, French Fridays with Dorie, because it has repeatedly pushed me out of my comfort zone and made me try things I'd never think up myself.

The caramel topping is interesting. As I poured it from the saucepan into the baking pan, I thought I may have let it go too long. There was a brittleness to it that had me thinking I might have made a giant caramel lollipop in that baking pan... and the saucepan cleanup seemed to validate the thought that I had a big disk of hard candy under that batter. Should there have been some heavy cream added? Hmm. Then, when the cake was done and I tried to invert it... LOL! Wasn't happening! Turned it back upright, ran a knife around the edge...... it was stuck like all get-out. The knife did the trick - I re-inverted it, and bloop! The cake is quite flat, but the caramel color is so gorgeous...

It tastes ....... quite good. The texture is....... odd. Not at all "cake-y". Even having said that, by it's mouth feel and flavor, I would never guess it started as a bowl of Cream of Wheat! Kinda egg-custard-y, in an unusual way. I had soaked the raisins in some gorgeous Pyrat rum, which I gently heated to plump the fruit, then drained off. The rummy raisins added a nice complexity - I would definitely do that again. And the caramel seems to have sorta been absorbed to some degree, but what's still there is not the "pull your crowns out" sticky caramel I'd feared. It's quite good.

Thanks for broadening my palate, FFWD!

No comments:

Post a Comment