Sunday, November 7, 2010

Roast Chicken for Les Paresseux - AMFT

Roast chicken... yummmm! I have been looking forward to making this because... well, I really enjoy roast chicken. I was a little apprehensive - the recipe calls for the chicken to be roasted for 90 minutes at 475 degrees, which seemed awfully hot... but - as AMFT's recipes have demonstrated over and over again - faith in Dorie's expertise pays off! :) This was the MOST moist, delicious, succulent roast chicken I have ever served! I wish I better understood the science (is it all about the temperature? the high-sided dutch oven?), but regardless - this bird was delectable, moist, beautiful to look at, incredibly aromatic, and will definitely be repeated over and over and over again in this kitchen!


A couple of notes:
The baguette trick seemed to work well in keeping the chicken lifted up out of the drippings; however, it didn't turn out to be the chef's treat I was hoping for. The chicken rested on 2 thick slices of baguette placed in the bottom of the dutch oven. When the bird was done, I removed the chicken then used a spatula to lift out the 2 beautifully crusty, mahogany discs. I scooped the chicken liver from the cavity, where it had gently cooked and was beautifully tender and perfectly cooked, and tried smearing some of the liver onto the gorgeously browned crust... but the bread was incredibly greasy. I mean *incredibly* greasy. Bleh. I gleefully ate the liver with sprinkle of fleur de sel and a fork. :)

My carrots and potatoes could have stood another 10-15 minutes of cooking time. Duly noted.

The shallots were my favorite part of the veggies. :) Will add more of them next time.

We thoroughly enjoyed this meal... this is an EXCELLENT recipe, destined to be repeated a LOT! Thanks again, Dorie!

3 comments:

  1. Your chicken is beautiful! I had the same issue with the bread the first time, I'm hoping the second time around I get the chef's treat Dorie promises!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chicken looks wonderful! I'm going to be using this recipe over and over again, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the bread. I was all over the chicken skin instead!

    ReplyDelete